In recent years, wireless communications have significantly developed due to the extensive use of portable devices and the rapid growth of Internet of Things, and intelligent transportation systems. Moreover, the increasing needs of emerging services like positioning and sensing calls for future endeavor. The communication and other intelligent services in optical spectrum can serve as a complement to the radio frequency (RF) systems, to overcome the issues of spectrum crunch and severe interference for dense deployment, due to the limited transmission range and interference. Applications of optical spectrum include high-rate OWC, ultra-violet communication and networking, underwater communication, visible light positioning and vehicular communication/sensing.
Currently, optical wireless systems are facing extensive challenges, including the weather impairments, light pollution, compatibility with existing networks, and user mobility and tracking. Extensive research and industrial efforts have been devoted to increase the efficiency and reliability. Growing number of publications, including journal/conference papers and book (chapters), have promoted the research activities to a higher level.
TOPICS OF INTEREST – (contributions are not limited to the following):
- Organic visible light communication, sensing, and positioning;
- Optical channel modeling and characterization;
- Capacity and achievable rate;
- Joint dimming and VLC optimization;
- Free space optic communication, including outdoor and under water;
- Cooperative RF/OWC;
- Modulation, coding and signal detection;
- Novel (photonic) devices for OWC;
- OWC and VLC networks: architecture, user access, cross-layer design etc;
- OWC applications in industrial IoT and intelligent manufacturing;
- OWC applications in intelligent transportation system, including trains and planes;
- Ultraviolet communication and networking;
- Visible light positioning and tracking;
- Chen Gong, University of Science and Technology of China, Email address: email@example.com;
- Fang Yang, Tsinghua University, Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.